A Story of Leadership in an Adult Basketball League
The season had just concluded. I was evaluating the adult basketball league with the EC Sports Leadership Team from East Cooper Baptist Church in Charleston, SC. EC Sports began in the spring of 2005 with an adult men’s basketball league as their first initiative. In this season there were many things to rejoice in:
- This past season 120 men participated (capacity for them). More than half of the players were non-Christians, many of whom were invited by other non-Christians who had previously played.
- About 20 different participants told their stories in pre-game talks – all about 3 minutes, all well received.
- Logistics went better than ever as people stepped up to take on various responsibilities.
- “We tried to step up our efforts with coaches. We had two coaches meetings so they could pick the one they could attend.”
- “We cast the vision of the league and told them the expectations we had of them as coaches.” (at the coaches meetings)
- “We met with one coach who didn’t do a good job last year and told him so. We actually didn’t invite two coaches to come back.”
- “We took recruiting new coaches more seriously. We looked at their spiritual maturity as well as other factors.”
- “We teamed new coaches with another coach if we thought it was needed.”
- “We went to coaches, especially the new ones, during the season and asked how it was going and gave them additional input.”
- First, I saw what good leadership looks like – careful recruiting, courageous vision casting, cold expectation setting, and concerned shepherding of those we lead.
- Second, I saw the need we all have to connect what we do with the progress of the ministry. We all want our efforts to “move the ball down the field”, but we often lack the perspective that we are really making a difference. When we get that perspective, it empowers us.
- How are you doing at expressing effective leadership these days – check yourself against these components of careful recruiting, courageous vision casting, bold expectation setting, and concerned coming alongside?
- What is the progress God is bringing about through your efforts?