Guest post by Brian Jones
I asked my ROAR team to send me the top 5 characteristics a ROAR coach should posses. First let me tell you, my ROAR team is made up of elders and deacons from the church, church staff members, and some other coaches from our leagues; both male and female. These individuals have totally bought into the ROAR vision and philosophy. So…..here is what they sent me:
The number one characteristic that all 10 members suggested was a vibrant walk with the Lord. Now remember this is for our head coaches. The other characteristics could be lumped into three other categories.
- A passion or love for children
- A passion or love for sports
- A passion to see their players grow spiritually and physically
I know this does not answer all the questions I have about what makes a good coach, but it does get me thinking and I hope it gets you thinking as well.
Here are some follow up questions I had after this brief study.
- Where are my coaches now?
- How much could I or others teach them?
- What about assistant coaches?
- Where does competition fit into all of this?
I’m sure you have other questions or comments and I would love to hear from you as we, at ROAR, are trying to develop people to glorify God! That’s hard!