Ken Cross, Director of Training for the Sports Chaplains Network (SCN), one of the two “passions” of the Sports Outreach Group (SOG), recently began investing some of his time with Cede, the other “passion” of the SOG.
“For the last 40 years I have invested my life trying to winsomely spread the good news of who Jesus is and why that is life changing. When I first understood that Jesus came back from the dead and wasn’t just someone who loved me, then died – it changed my life. Since then, I have been a church planter and pastor and now work with athletes and those involved with them. Through the journey, I have never forgotten that Jesus loves the church. I love the church! Helping churches use sports to continue sharing this good news is not a stretch for me – it is in my ballpark!”
Ken works with Bob Schindler and Jeff Fox in recruiting new churches to the Cede Network and servicing current Cede Network members, including ongoing involvement in Cede’s Learning Communities. Cede also benefits from Ken’s expertise to sharpen our ministry message and the ministry tools in our toolbox.
- Ken was born in Richmond, VA, one of 4 boys
- His dad died when he was 6 and his family moved to Birmingham, AL (where the brainwashing about Alabama football began)
- Ken played all sports growing up and football and baseball in HS
- Came to faith at 19 and evidenced fruitfulness in evangelism very quickly
- Interned and served at Northside Baptist, St. Petersburg FL and Altadena Presbyterian Attended Simpson College in San Francisco and then Southeastern Bible College in Birmingham, where he got a BA Bible, BA in Pastoral Theology
- Ken served as Asst. Pastor of First Baptist Church, San Jose, Associate Pastor of First Baptist Church of Los Gatos, CA from 1981-1985
- Got married to Lynn Johnson in 1982 and they have 5 children, 4 girls and one boy
- Attended RTS in Jackson, MS – Masters in Divinity
- Pastor of Northgate PCA in Albany, GA 1988-93
- Organizing Pastor, then Sr. Pastor of Sandhills PCA in Southern Pines, NC 1993 – 2008
- Organizing pastor for the Central Carolina Presbytery to start a church in the Steele Creek area of Charlotte 2008 – 2012
- 2012 Asked by Bob Dyar to start the Sports Chaplains Network, became the Vice- President of the Sports Outreach Group, Executive Director of SCN from 2012-2015
- 2012 Chaplain for Men’s Basketball at Queens University in Charlotte
- 2012 Chaplain for Women’s Basketball at UNC Charlotte
Ken not only loves the local church but also understands how she works. (Between Jeff, Bob and Ken, they have over 100 years of working with local churches. Boy, those guys must be old!!!!) Ken is a gifted teacher and communicator with a strong pastor’s heart and passion to see people converted to followers of Jesus Christ. He brings a lot to our team and we are excited to have Ken helping us at Cede!